We've been real blunt with the kids this year about presents and the world's idea of consumption. We wanted to do something a little different this year...we told the kids that Santa is in a recession and that the elves only have enough material to make the kids 2 gifts. We told them that instead of having lots of presents that they really don't need or play with that instead we were going to do a Christmas for a family we don't know. The kids are going Christmas shopping but instead of buying for there siblings, they are buying for a kid in need. I went back and forth quite a bit on how to tell my kids that this would be a small Christmas and if it was "right" to tell them that Santa is in a recession, we came to the conclusion that this is a good idea and to help instill in the kids that Christmas isn't just about gifts, but giving. So all of this has brought on Makayla's letter to Santa. I asked Kayla and Garrett to make a list of things they wanted for Santa so I would have some idea what to do for them...I love that my daughter has the spirit of Christmas and giving in her little heart. I wrote her letter in pen so you all could read it, I thinks it's the cutest letter in the world. :)


1 comment:
What a sweetheart!
Post a Comment